Suffolk GP Federation is a not-for-profit Federation of 58 independent GP practices covering 580,000 patients. Members remain independent organisations, whilst collaborating in the development of local primary care.
The Federation was established to enable primary care to ‘work at scale’. We do this by:
- Facilitating practices working together in an open, democratic and transparent way
- Addressing issues which are optimally solved by collaboration (rather than by individual practices)
- Providing a management infrastructure, skills and expertise that an individual practice would find uneconomic to employ
The Federation manages two types of activity:
- Supporting complex service changes including collaboration between groups of practices or the transfer of work from hospitals into the community and primary care
- Leading a Suffolk wide workforce development programme including GP recruitment and retention programmes, support for salaried and locum GPs, practice managers, nurse, administration staffs and allied health professionals
- Delivering services where it is sensible for one organisation to take a management lead
- Support for member practices e.g. organising bulk discounts for medical defence cover
Services for patients – the Federation manages a portfolio of services including:
- Non-obstetric ultrasound, community ENT and cardiology in East Suffolk
- Lymphoedema and community pain in West Suffolk
- Diabetes in North East Essex
- Pan-Suffolk primary care including GP+ and managing Walton Surgery
The Federation is owned by GP practices. It was established with a one off financial contribution and since its formation has funded all of its activities without any contribution from its members.
The Federation has a turnover of approximately £5m and employs around 120 staff.